- 4 oz. of dried chile (choose your favorite combination between ancho, guajillo or arbol). TIP: WE LIKE TO MIX ALL 3!
- 2 tbsp. of corn or canola oil
- 2 lbs. of boneless pork shoulder cut in large chunks
- 8 cups of water or chicken broth
- 1 25 oz. can of Juanita’sⓇ Mexican Style Hominy drained and rinsed. TIP: ADD A SECOND CAN IF YOU REALLY LOVE HOMINY!
- 1 medium onion diced
- 6 cloves of garlic peeled
- 2 tsp. of salt
- 2 tsp. of pepper
- 1 tbsp. of oregano
OPTIONAL POZOLE TOPPINGS:
- Shredded Cabbage
- Chile flakes
- Tortillas or Tostadas
STEP BY STEP:
- Remove stems and seeds from chiles and place in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water and soak for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in pan over high heat. Add pork, add salt, pepper and oregano. Brown on all sides about 6 – 8 minutes.
- Once pork is seared on all, sides place in slow cooker. We recommend using a liner for easy clean up.
- Place soaked chiles in a blender with 1 ½ cups of the liquid and puree until smooth.
- Place fine mesh strainer over a bowl and pour in the chile paste from the blender. Using a spatula push the chile paste through the strainer to remove any large pieces. Taste the paste and add salt/pepper if needed.
- Add Hominy, chile paste, garlic and onion to the meat and stir well.
- Add 8 cups of water or chicken broth and cover.
- Heat on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Prepare toppings so each person can add what they like to their pozole