INGREDIENTS FOR THE TAMALE DOUGH:
(MAKES 2.2 LBS OF TAMALE DOUGH)
- 8.8 oz of lard
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- Corn husks soaked in hot water
- 4-5 cans of Juanita’sⓇ Pork Chile Verde
*This recipe will yield 18 – 24 tamales.
STEP BY STEP:
- Open and heat 4 – 5 cans of Juanita’sⓇ Pork Chile Verde in a medium pot over the medium heat.
- Once the meat is ready, place in a large bowl and break apart into small pieces. Add sauce. Save.
- In a large bowl mix the dough, lard, salt and baking powder. Knead well until it’s a smooth consistency with no lumps. Add ½ cup of green salsa from the meat and work it into the dough for added flavor.
- Place a spoonful of dough in the corn husk and spread to the desired thickness. Add desired amount of meat and green salsa.
- Fold the bottom of corn husk up and then fold in the sides. Repeat until you make the desired number of tamales. Place tamales open side up in a large steamer pot with water. Heat on medium heat for about 1 hour. You can insert a toothpick in the center of the tamale and if it comes out dry then tamales are ready.
Recipe created by: Master Chef Mondragón.