Vive la Tradición
JUANITA’S NATIONAL MENUDO MONTH
HOMEMADE MENUDO CONTEST
- CONTEST ENTRY PERIOD: The Juanita’s National Menudo Month Recipe Contest (the “Contest”) begins at 12:00 a.m. Central Time (“CT”) on September 25, 2017 and ends 11:59 p.m. CT on November 5, 2017 (the “Contest Entry Period”).
- ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal U.S. residents, 18 years of age or older, residing in California and Texas. Employees of Juanita’s Foods (the “Sponsor”), its affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, suppliers, distributors and advertising, promotional and judging agencies, and each of their respective employees, directors, officers, members, assigns and agents and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible to participate or win.
- HOW TO ENTER: During the Contest Entry Period, visit www.vivelatradicion.com (“Website”) and follow instructions to complete the registration form and upload your original video (“Video”; 1 minute max.) describing why your, or your family member’s, homemade menudo is the best (collectively “Entry”). You must also indicate on the registration form the Regional Area in which you would like to compete in a regional menudo tasting (“Regional Tasting Event”) if you are determined to be a Semi-Finalist, from the following regional areas (each, a “Regional Area”): Los Angeles, CA; San Bernardino, CA; Fresno, CA; McAllen, TX; Houston, TX; and, San Antonio, TX. If you are describing why one of your family members (“Nominee”) should be selected to compete in a Regional Tasting Event, that family member must be 18 years of age or older, residing in California or Texas, and be willing and able to attend the Regional Tasting Event, if determined to be a Semi-Finalist. Multiple entrants are not permitted to share the same email address to submit an Entry. There is a limit of one (1) Entry per person/email address.
ENTRY GUIDELINES: All Entries must adhere to the following Entry Guidelines, as determined by Sponsor/Administrator in their sole discretion. Any Entry that does not adhere to these Entry Guidelines or the requirements set forth in these Official Rules is subject to disqualification.
- Submission must be in English and/or Spanish only.
- Video may be up to 100 MB must be in one of the following formats: MP4, MPG, AVI, MOV, or WMV.
- Video must be your own original work.
- Video must not (and entrants represent and warrant that it will not), violate or infringe any third-party copyright, trademark, trade dress, or other proprietary right of any entity or person (living or deceased), including but not limited to rights of privacy, publicity or portrayal in a false light.
- Submission should not make reference to any commercial/corporate advertising, including but not limited to corporate logos, brand names (other than Sponsor’s), slogans, political, or religious statements, or be otherwise objectionable, as determined in Sponsor/Administrator’s sole discretion.
- Submission must not include any commercial solicitation or promotional materials, websites, contact info or personally-identifiable information (e.g., first or last name, address, phone number, place of work, email address, etc.).
- Any Submission deemed inappropriate or unsuitable, in Sponsor’s/Administrator’s sole discretion, will be disqualified.
- Submission must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Submission cannot defame, misrepresent or contain disparaging remarks about Sponsor, the Released Parties, or their respective products and services, or other people, products or companies.
- Submission must not contain content that is false, inaccurate or misleading.
- If applicable, entrant attests that he/she has made all those depicted in the Entry (or parent/legal guardian for any person depicted who is a minor) aware that he/she is submitting an Entry containing them in this Contest, and all depicted (or parent/legal guardian for any person depicted who is a minor) have agreed that entrant may submit such Entry. Further, entrants who are determined as potential Semi-Finalists may need to obtain a Release from those depicted in their Entry, if applicable (or the parent/legal guardian of any minors depicted) prior to being confirmed official Semi-Finalists.
- JUDGING TO DETERMINE SEMI-FINALISTS: All submitted Entries received for each Regional Area (based on which Regional Area entrant selected at time of Entry) will be judged by the Sponsor and Sponsor-selected judges based on the following criteria: Originality/Creativity (40%); Appropriateness to Theme (20%); Inspirational Value of Entry (20%); and Overall Enthusiasm (20%), to determine up to twenty (20) Semi-Finalists per Regional Area, with the exception of the Los Angeles Regional Area for which up to forty (40) Semi-Finalists will be determined. In the event of a tie, tied Entries will be re-judged based solely on: Originality (100%). The twenty (20) highest-scoring Entries from each Regional Area will be deemed Semi-Finalists, highest-scoring Entries will be deemed Semi-Finalists (subject to verification), and will advance to the Regional Tasting Event in their selected Regional Area. Decisions of Sponsor/Sponsor-selected judges (together “judges”) are final with respect to all matters relating to judging. By participating, entrants agree to the decisions of the judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects.
- SEMI-FINALIST NOTIFICATION/VERIFICATION: Potential Semi-Finalists will be notified by phone/email/mail and will be required to complete and return via email/fax/mail, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Release of Liability and, if legally permissible, a Publicity Release and assignment of rights within seven (7) days of attempted delivery of same. If entrant nominated a Nominee in his/her Entry, the Nominee must also complete and return via email/fax/mail, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Release of Liability and, if legally permissible, a Publicity Release and assignment of rights within seven (7) days of attempted delivery of same. If Nominee is verified as eligible, he/she will be deemed the Semi-Finalist (not the entrant). Noncompliance within any specified time period or return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable, or declining for any reason, will result in disqualification without further notice and an alternate Semi-Finalist may be selected, time permitting. Semi-Finalists will be required to transport their soup to their Regional Tasting Event. No compensation will be provided.
- REGIONAL TASTING EVENTS: The Semi-Finalists per selected Regional Area determined via Rule #5, will be invited to prepare their original Menudo soup (“Semi-Finalist Entry”) at home, following the Semi-Finalist Entry Guidelines listed below, and present it in-person at the Regional Tasting Event in their selected Regional Area during the time/date specified, in early December 2017, and at the location specified. NOTE: There will be two (2) Regional Tasting Events in the Los Angeles area with up to twenty (20) Semi-Finalists invited to each. The Semi-Finalist Entries presented at each Regional Tasting Event will be judged by the Sponsor and Sponsor-selected judges based on the following criteria: Taste (40%); Visual Appeal (20%); Originality/Creativity (20%); and Quality (20%), to determine one (1) Finalist from each Regional Tasting Event. In the event of a tie, tied Entries will be re-judged based solely on: Taste (100%). The highest-scoring Semi-Finalist Entry from each Regional Tasting Event will be deemed a Finalist, and will advance to the Grand Finale Cook-Off in their home state. Decisions of Judges are final with respect to all matters relating to judging.
SEMI-FINALIST ENTRY GUIDELINES:
- Must be a soup
- Must be a red menudo
- Must contain at least one variety of beef tripe meat
- Juanita’s brand hominy should be used
- Sample size must be at least 6-8 servings of minimum of 1 cup each (6 cups = 48 oz.)
- Must employ cooking hygiene standards
- The meat must be well cleaned.
- Kitchen where menudo is prepared must be clean and sanitary.
- Cook must employ proper hand washing techniques.
- Menudo must be prepared using proper food handling techniques.
- Menudo must be delivered in a microwave-safe container or pot ensuring proper temperature to avoid it spoiling.
- Menudo may be frozen to ensure it does not spoil during the transportation to the Regional Tasting Event for judging. Sponsor will provide facilities for reheating.
- GRAND FINALE MENUDO COOK-OFF EVENT: The six (6) Finalists determined via Rule #6 will be invited to participate in the Grand Finale Cook-Off Event (“Event”) in their home state (3 Finalists from CA and 3 Finalists from TX). The Texas Event will take place in Houston, TX on January 20, 2018; and the California Event will take place on January 27 and 28, 2018, at a Sponsor-specified location. Each Finalist will prepare their original menudo soup at the Event where they will be judged based on the following criteria: Taste (40%); Visual Appeal (20%); Originality/Creativity (20%); and Quality (20%), to determine one (1) Grand Prize winner from each Event. In the event of a tie, tied Entries will be re-judged based solely on: Taste (100%). The highest-scoring Finalist from each Event will be deemed Grand Prize winners. Decisions of Judges are final with respect to all matters relating to judging. In the event a Finalist resides outside of a 150-mile radius of the city in which their Event will take place, Finalist will receive a travel stipend in the form of $150 Sponsor-specified gift card. No accommodations or other compensation will be provided.
- PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUES (“ARVs”): Two (2) Grand Prizes (one from CA and one from TX) – A Sponsor-specified automobile wrapped with Sponsor’s advertising. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price is $17,500 per prize. Grand Prize winners are solely responsible for all applicable taxes, insurance, licensing, registration, title fees and pick-up costs. Grand Prize winners may be required to show proof of insurance and a valid U.S. driver’s license prior to taking delivery and pick up vehicle as directed by Sponsor. Each Grand Prize winner that keeps the automobile wrapped with Sponsor’s advertising for one (1) year will receive a check for $2,000, at the end of the calendar year 2018; Six (6) Finalist Prizes – A $1,000 check. Limit one (1) Finalist Prize per person/household. No substitution or transfer of prize permitted except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor who reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in the event the prize is unavailable. Prizes may be substituted for any reason at the discretion of the Sponsor. All federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of winners.
- TRANSFER OF RIGHTS: By submitting an Entry, entrant hereby irrevocably grants the Sponsor the non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide rights to use, reproduce, publish, edit, market, store, adapt, assign, sell, dispose of, distribute, have distributed, publicly and privately display, communicate, publicly and privately perform, transmit, have transmitted, create derivative works based upon, and promote the Entry or excerpts of the Entry (as such may be edited and modified by the Sponsor in its discretion) in perpetuity, for editorial, commercial, promotional and all other purposes (including posting on the internet and/or other Sponsor-selected media).
- ADDITIONAL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES/INDEMNIFICATION: Each Entrant represents and warrants as follows: (i) entrant’s Entry is non-professional and the sole, original work of the entrant, which has not been copied or otherwise plagiarized, in whole or in part, from any other source and, as of the date of Entry submission, is not the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim; (ii) entrant’s Entry has not been published previously or submitted in any other competition; (iii) entrant owns all rights in and to the Entry; (iv) entrant’s Entry does not and will not violate or infringe upon (nor is it at risk of infringing) any third party rights, including without limitation copyright, trademark rights, privacy rights (including portrayal in a false light), publicity rights, or other intellectual property rights; and (v) entrant’s Entry does not and will not violate any applicable laws, and is not and will not be considered defamatory or libelous. Each entrant hereby agrees to indemnify and hold the Sponsor Entities harmless from and against any and all third party claims, actions or proceedings of any kind and from any and all damages, liabilities, costs and expenses relating to or arising out of any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations or agreements of entrant under these Official Rules.
- GENERAL RULES: Winners and all entrants, as a condition of entry into the Contest, agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor and its agencies, subsidiaries, affiliates and each of their respective officers, directors, shareholders, members, employees, agents, assigns, and all others associated with the development and execution of the Contest (collectively the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all liability, claims or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages, or losses to persons or property which may be sustained in connection with submitting an Entry or otherwise participating in any aspect of the Contest, the receipt, ownership or use of any prize awarded or any typographical or other error in these Official Rules or the announcement or offering of the prizes. Winners assume all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused by participation in the Contest or use or redemption of the prizes. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission to use winners’ names, likenesses and Entries for promotional purposes (including any possible public relations opportunities) without further compensation except where prohibited by law. By entering, entrant accepts and agrees to be bound by these Official Rules. Entries will be declared to be made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of Entry (or when setting up winner’s account). “Authorized account holder” of an e-mail address is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet Access provider, Online Service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual that tampers or attempts to tamper with the Entry process or the operation of the Contest; violates the Official Rules; acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner; or acts with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. The Released Parties are not responsible for technical, hardware or software malfunctions, telephone failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, inaccurate, incomplete, garbled or delayed electronic communications, whether caused by the sender, by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest which may limit the ability to participate, or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the Entries in the Contest. Entries generated by script or bot are not eligible. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the Contest if it cannot be completed as planned for any reason, including but not limited to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, technical failures or corruption of any sort. In such event, Sponsor will judge all Entries received from each Regional Area prior to cancellation. Void where prohibited by law and subject to all federal, state and local laws. As a condition of entering the Contest, entrant agrees that: 1) under no circumstance will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and participant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, consequential or any other damages, other than for out-of-pocket expenses; 2) all causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and 3) any and all claims, judgments, and award shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, but in no event will entrant be entitled to receive attorneys’ fees or other legal costs.
- WINNERS LIST: For the names of the Finalists and the Grand Prize winners, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope by December 12, 2018, to: Juanita’s Foods National Menudo Month Contest Winners, 12274 Bandera Rd, Suite 203, Helotes, TX 78023.
- SPONSOR: Juanita’s Foods, P.O. Box 847, Wilmington, CA 90748.